Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Funny Business

There's a clown school in Mainz.

Judging by the home page, they have plans to translate the site into English and some other silly language I've never heard of, "Français," but unfortunately for those of you who can't read German and really want to know more, you'll have to wait until they get their act in gear. Maybe I should offer my translating services.

But if you click around in there, you'll at least get to see some, uh, nice, artsy pictures of, well, clowns. Like so:

I know we've all seen The Simpsons' classic interpretation of clown school, but what do you think clown school is really like? Do they wear the whole outfit every day? If everyone's a class clown, how do you act up and disrupt class: comb your hair, wash your face, and sit quietly with your hand in the air until the teacher calls on you? Do you give your teacher cream pies instead of apples? Does everyone carpool to class? I just can't imagine what kind of atmosphere you'd find at a clown school, but I bet the tests are a joke.

As many of you know from my screennames/email addresses over the years, clowns fascinate me. In theory, clowns, and their predecessors, jesters, are like noble stand-up comedians. All they want to do is make people laugh without hurting anybody except themselves in a Three Stooges kind of way. And yet I'd venture to say that clowns are some of the most feared and hated creatures in our culture today. Think of examples such as Stephen King's It or The Joker. Heck, just think of the mass of bawling kids at a circus if a clown waddles up and makes with the slapstick. You were probably one of those bawling kids; for all I know, you might still be, with your Coulrophobia and "Can't sleep, clown will eat me" protestations.

Clowns can't win. I mean, you try to do somethin' nice for people...what a world, huh? I guess what I'm sayin' is, don't be a fool, don't go to clown school.

No comments: