Monday, November 12, 2007

Weekend Update

Brittany and I went to Trier and Luxembourg on Friday and Saturday. We spent the day in Trier before heading to Luxembourg and spending the night in a hostel. I'll post some pics so you can check those out and basically skip the trip yourself in the future. I mean, they were both nice, and would be fine to visit for a day, but especially Luxembourg should be avoided by anyone on a budget who wants to spend some time enjoying himself. The cheapest restaurant the hostel could recommend was an Italian place with meals for around 20 Euros. That's brutal. We ate at the hostel instead. Oh well, the cold, rainy weather didn't help either -- my teacher told me it's much nicer to go in the summer with all of the street vendors and such. On the plus side, the hostel was quite nice, and I did have a great sleep followed by a good breakfast.

So we came home earlier than planned on Saturday, which gave me the incentive to meet up with Ben, Michaela, and Katherine in Frankfurt that night. I relied heavily on my flask of Scotch to combat my nagging cold, and followed that up by sharing in a giant pot of Apfelwein with the others. Well, "pot" is not the right word here, it was classier and bigger than a pot, but my brain is fried right now from the continued cold and from watching too many episodes in a row of Street Fighter II V on YouTube. It's surprisingly good for a 1996 cartoon based on a video game -- definitely better than the live-action movie was.

But I digress...once we trudged through the rain back to the hotel Saturday night, I wrangled my way into bed with two girls. Yeah, the two mattresses were pushed up against each other so I got to sleep in the crack while Ben was stuck on the floor. Apparently I'm a better negotiator when I have a belly full of Apfelwein. We had a nice brunch on Sunday, while a strange/funny Italian guy waited on us. Yup, his name was Luigi, and he used to be a professional soccer player and a professional opera singer, and he has a book coming out soon with an amusing name that I have forgotten. He showed us all kinds of pictures and letters and stuff and we had to wonder why he was waiting tables at a somewhat fancy cafe now. I guess I could write to him and ask, since he gave us his card and asked us to write.

This post was really just an excuse to mention that Jeff and I are officially going to Milan and Verona for New Year's though. I would have felt bad if that were all I wrote.

No comments: