Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ouch

First quick but important thing: check out this program Free Rice. It's a multiple choice vocabulary game for a good cause, so you can feel good about learning. Every time you get a word right, 10 grains of rice are donated through the UN to people who need it. All of the info is on the site and it's quite simple to just check it out, so I'm not gonna paraphrase anymore. But seriously, it's really interesting stuff.

On to the schadenfreude: I've hurt my fingers a couple times recently. A couple weeks ago I jammed one playing basketball, which reminded me of just one of the many reasons I don't like basketball. But I don't usually have a problem with ghost stories. I was reading one to my 6th grade class yesterday, and, I mean, it obviously wasn't scary and we had to go through it pretty closely before they actually understood all of what was going on.

But at one point the ghost "taps" at the window or door or something, and I tried to spice that part up a little bit. In trying to make the tapping louder and louder, I may have gone too far. The kids weren't scared by the story, but they definitely gasped when they heard how hard I was tapping on the underside of that table. I soldiered on without missing a beat so they wouldn't catch the scent of weakness and devour me, but I bruised one of my knuckles pretty badly. What a way to catch an injury.

Damn that ghost, Sir Henry, if that was his real name. Why couldn't he have just kicked a table over or something? I bet I can do that without hurting myself.... Of course, to tie my injuries together nicely, Sir Henry's problem was that he was missing his head. Since he was the sissiest ghost ever, the little girls in the story agreed to help him look for it -- and when they thought they had found it, they woke up, and were holding a basketball instead. I'm being haunted by basketball.

1 comment:

Alena said...

Free Rice is awesome. I got up to level 45 before I had to start cheating.

I hate basketball too. Just because it's boring.