Monday, November 19, 2007

Don't Bring Me Down

First, it's always nice to wake up and check the sports pages online and find out that the Patriots keep on rollin'. What's even funnier to see is that the Miami Dolphins keep on gettin' rolled. The '72 Dolphins are the only team in football ever to have a perfect season, but while the Patriots keep their sights on tying that record, the '07 Dolphins "are on their way to setting another perfect record - a season unblemished by wins," as it was hilariously stated by someone in a www.fark.com article description. Yes, while the Pats are 10-0, the Dolphins are 0-10. This is truly a bounteous season.

Second, the kids in my 6th grade class toyed with my emotions today. Well, not all of them, but some of them -- okay, one kid in particular. I saw the students as I was leaving school; they were waiting for their bus to the swimming pool. They got me to admit that I speak German, though they didn't really have to twist my arm. It's good if they try to speak English with me, but I don't really mind admitting that I speak German either. Honestly, I always feel a little pride when they realize it.

But I had barely gotten to enjoy my pride, and already one of the kids had decided that I didn't speak the language very well. It didn't seem hostile or teasing, so it's quite possible he just assumed my hesitance to start speaking German with them was because I was unsure of my ability. He may have been trying to shelter me from the onslaught of German I was about to face from his classmates when they heard about it. Gee, aren't children helpful? Whatever his intentions, picture it: some more of the kids would ask me if I could speak German, and
before I had a chance to prove myself he would run to my aid with "Yeah, but not very well!"

He certainly deflated the balloons in my pride parade.

On the other hand, the little girls all love me still. Does that count for anything?

No comments: