Monday, April 25, 2011

Battle Bird

Happy belated Easter. I spent mine with Stasia and lots of her mom's side of the family in NYC. In addition to involving delicious food and good company, it was a productive trip: I recruited at least one Big Bird artist, and perhaps more still to come.

Stasia's cousin Rachel Denny, awesome person and artist du jour, has this to say about her effort, which was done on her iPad: "I just spent about a half an hour trying to draw big bird. It looks like an oversized chick drawn by a first grader...." As mentioned recently, this is as good a season as any for chicks, so check it out:


That rocks.

Rachel sent this follow-up comment: "Looking at it again I realize that I only gave cookie monster one eye... strange...." Except it's not strange once you realize the 'roid rage driving this scene. How else do you explain Big Bird's high-pitched voice, compulsive work-outs, and sudden bulk?

Here's how it went down: Cookie Monster spilled one too many crumbs on Big Bird's well-preened coat and got his eye pecked out. Elmo tried to intervene, which led Big Bird to punch a hole directly through his fuzzy red stomach. Now that tickles.

Is this really Easter-appropriate? Big Bird's legs are practically melting with anger. I suppose if he loses an eye for an eye, Old Testament God will be satisfied.

And if I get more drawings, I'll be satisfied. At least temporarily.

No comments: