Monday, April 21, 2008

TWO Organs!

That's not the set-up or the punchline to a terrible joke. Actually, that's probably a lie -- somewhere in this world, I have to imagine there's at least one joke involving the exclamation "TWO organs!" But I promise I don't know that joke, and neither is this my attempt at creating a new joke. In fact, two organs is something I experienced on Sunday. Um...okay, it still sounds bad. I'd better just get on with it quickly and try to ignore the numerous puns.

The Mainz College of Music is moving onto the campus of the University of Mainz and they're getting a new organ as part of the deal. They donated their current organ to the Altmuenster church in Mainz, which already had an organ, but a very small one. This donated one is much bigger and nicer, so they moved the old one next to the altar and the donated one is now up above.

On Sunday the church had some special masses to celebrate the advent of two organs; they had a choir and people to play each organ. My supervising teacher, Bettina, and her husband, Gernot, were singing in the choir, which is how I found out about the whole thing. It was a really interesting experience, especially when they did a song that was specifically written for two organs. I'm not sure why you'd ever write a piece of music like that, but then again at the Fulbright conference in Berlin I also saw a guy perform a sweet tuba solo, so I'll just roll with it.

So although I had to go to church for it, it was worth it for some beautiful music and an unusual story. There was even champagne afterwards.

Oh no...I know I promised I wouldn't, but I'm weak. It's just got too much potential for me to not even try:

What's worse than church wine and an organ?
Church champagne and TWO organs!

Sorry you had to witness that. At least we now know for sure there's a joke somewhere in this world involving the exclamation "TWO organs!"

Let this post be ended, and go in peace.

No comments: