Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Good Timing

It's been a few busy days since I posted, but only a couple of things worth mentioning. The choir performance at church on Sunday went well, I guess. We sang at various times throughout the mass, and otherwise things ran normally. We didn't receive a standing ovation and it's not the kind of place where people clap and cheer or even look as if they're enjoying themselves, no matter what you do, so it's tough to judge how much they enjoyed it. It's bad enough trying to introduce a bit of rousing gospel music to a normal church service in America -- now imagine introducing a bit of rousing gospel music in a different language, and you can start to picture those stoic faces. The highlight: during the finale of one song we got the rhythmic clap going, and the only person in the audience to join in was some old guy. Thankfully I was in the back and everyone was singing at that point, so I doubt many people noticed when I almost laughed and had to stop singing for a minute.

Last night I skipped out on choir practice to go to the Christmas market for a bit with a few people, where I continued to introduce Germans to the delightful addition of whiskey to the Gluehwein. Now that I have my Irish-red goatee again, though, I should probably ditch the cheap Scotch whiskey in favor of some cheap equivalent of Jameson. Gotta support the family connections (cheaply, of course).

And after posting about hedgehogs the other day, I feel obliged to mention this article I found: "Abandoned baby hedgehogs are too weak to hibernate", Too weak to go into a deep sleep? Maybe they're just overtired. Perhaps a months-long nap would help. In any case, I guarantee you'll want to click the link and see the article for yourself. How can I possibly guarantee such a thing, you ask? Pictures. What's what you say? You're sure baby hedgehogs are cute and all, but you don't think that warrants a full guarantee? Well baby hedgehogs should be enough, you cold-hearted monster.

But wait, there's more! Did I forget to mention that the baby hedgehogs in these pictures are wearing teeny...tiny...baby...hedgehog........casts? Never have I wanted to sign somebody's cast more than right now. I really can't stress this enough, people: you WANT to see baby hedgehogs wearing neon green or blue casts on their legs. It will expunge all feelings of stress and animosity from your soul. There. This article creates world peace if everybody looks at it. Is that good enough? Or does it need to be covered in chocolate and emissions-free first? Go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stress-relieving Hedgehogs... is there anything they can't do?
Hope Winston doesn't mistake one for his favorite toy!

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, too sweet, all babies are adorable, I want one. KC